Looks like we don't have to wait much longer to see our favorite slasher back on the big screen! Tom McLoughlin, who wrote 'Jason Lives' has finished writing another sequel!
Is it Halloween already? Because it seems like a pretty good time to be a horror fan! Amid the messy legal battle which is currently surrounding the classic slasher franchise, a piece of news has surfaced which is giving life to horror fans.
The last we saw Jason Voorhees slash some people up was about 10 years ago, that too, in a reboot which received mixed reactions from the public and we haven't got a proper sequel since Freddy vs. Jason, which released in 2003 but it looks like we may be finally getting the Friday the 13th sequel we deserve!
Tom McLoughlin, the screenwriter behind the best movie of the franchise - Jason Lives, second only to the original, has revealed that he is as excited for Jason to return to the big screen as all of us and has penned down a script for the next sequel already!
Not only that, just like Friday the 13th Part VI, Tom has been eyeing to direct the upcoming sequel movie as well and we are HERE for it! Tom has resurrected Jason successfully once, we are rooting for him to do the same again.
Speaking about his love for the slasher franchise, McLoughlin told The Pod and the Pendulum, "I finally came up with the formula for what I wanted to do and things about six months ago, and wrote the screenplay."
But, he also added that he is yet to share his idea with others because of the lawsuit. "And now, I'm stopped dead in my tracks with the lawsuit with Sean Cunningham and Victor Miller, so it's like I can't even show it to the studios or anybody."
In case you don't already know, Friday the 13th is going through a legal battle which seems to be as immortal as Jason himself. Sean S. Cunningham, director of the first movie, and Victor Miller, the writer, are fighting over ownership rights and the franchise with a lot of potential is suffering as a result.
After a lot of drama and hearings, the court ruled in favor of Miller but Cunningham filed an appeal again and is trying to move the case up to Supreme Court.
Now, if both the parties could reach a settlement, Jason can go back to the killing but we see no sign of THAT happening. "A small update in Horror, Inc. v. Miller. Apparently, no settlement at the mediation. The parties just filed this Stipulation Regarding Use of Deferred Appendix which just means that they won't have to file the appendix until after they file their briefs," entertainment lawyer Larry Zerner updated the fans.
Previously, Ryan Turek, one of the producers of last year's major hit Halloween, revealed that he wants to revive Jason's style as well. Talking to We Got This Covered, he said that he would snatch the opportunity the moment he gets a chance, "at the top of my list would be Friday the 13th. Friday the 13th would be the franchise that I would love to work on next. Jason Blum shares that same passion. That is something that is unfortunately complicated. I mean, there’s all sorts of stuff going on not [just] with the video game, but legal stuff."
But if it clears up, he's on it, "But, if it came our way, I mean I would be on cloud nine. It would be absolutely incredible to do. I feel a little bit smoother, because, I think there are only a few promises you’d need to make when it comes to Friday the 13th. That’s, you know, you gotta deliver on a summer camp. You gotta deliver on counselors. You gotta deliver on Jason Voorhees."
"With Friday the 13th, obviously Jason Voorhees is the main thing. I’ve written about this when I had my own website. I think Friday the 13th [from] 2009 is the best slasher mix tape we could ever get when it comes to the Friday franchise. There’s a lot of opportunities to explore. If we ever had the chance it would probably be similar to Halloween. Get someone who can really disrupt it a little bit and have some fun," he concluded.
Can we see a little Halloween and Friday the 13th crossover in the future? Here's to hoping we DO!